IRAQI METAL FREAKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

guitar lessons

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dave

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-11-01

guitar lessons Empty
PostSubject: guitar lessons   guitar lessons I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 3:18 am

[size=16lesson 1a - Reading Chord Boxes

The first thing that you need to know is how to read chord boxes. These show you where to put your fingers on the fingerboard. The six vertical lines represent the six strings, the one furthest left is the thickest string. The two close together lines at the top of the box represent the nut (the plastic, bone or metal piece that the stings go through on the headstock) and the rest of the horizontal lines represent the frets.

The dots represent the places where you must put your left hand fingers, and they are numbered to show which finger to use. Number 1 is the index finger, 2 is the middle finger, 3 is the ring finger and 4 is your pinky. If you have played the piano make sure you don't get confused because the piano finger numbers are completely different (guitar players don't use their left hand thumbs).
Notice the X or O above each string too. These show weather to play the string or not. The O means that you play the string with no fingers on it and the X means that you should not play that string. Be careful which strings you pluck.

guitar lessons Chordbox

1b Holding The Guitar

1c Holding Your Pick

guitar lessons Pickhold1guitar lessons Pickhold2

1d - Left Hand Finger Placement
Try and get your left hand fingers as near to the fret as possible without touching it.

Onwards and upwards Smile
Once you have your guitar in tune, your pick ready and you understand the chord boxes, it is time to move onto your first chords!![/size]
Back to top Go down
dave

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-11-01

guitar lessons Empty
PostSubject: lesson 2   guitar lessons I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 3:24 am

Look at the chord box for the D chord (below). The black dots are the places where you should position your fretting fingers (Fretting fingers are the ones that go in the frets - for a right handed player it will be your left hand, the opposite for a lefty)

guitar lessons Chord-D<<..........>>guitar lessons Chord-D

Try to place your fingers in the places shown with the correct fingering. Most students find it is easier to arrange their fingers by number order starting with your first finger. Try it and see if it works for you, but it is not important. Place your first finger on the 3rd string, second fret. The second finger on the 1st string, also on the second fret and your third finger on the 2nd string on the 3rd fret.
The fingers should be just behind the appropriate frets. If a finger is touching the fret it, the note will sound dead or muted and if it is too far back from the fret the note will buzz. You may find that your fingers will not stretch to where you want them to go at first, but it won't take long for them to find the way to play it. Just let you hand get used to moving in ways that it may never have done before.

Thumb position
When you start playing it is better to keep your thumb placed behind the neck. Have it resting about 3/4 of the way toward the sixth string, firmly planted on the pad of the thumb (not the tip). Your palm should not be touching anywhere. Got that? The palm of your left hand must not be touching the neck, it's important.

What strings to pluck?
Check which strings should be played, for the D chord you should NOT play the thickest two strings. Remember the X means don't play that string!
When you strum be aware of where you start the strum from. Although it may seem like a lot to think about at the start, the quality of your playing will be worth the little extra time to get it right. It will be tempting sometimes to just disregard it and strum away on your favorite tune. When this urge hits you, just do it. But when you PRACTICE then be careful of what notes you are hitting. Have a listen to what our D chord sounds like if all 6 strings are plucked. Pretty rough, and it makes the chord muddy and unclear.
Have a go now and strum down with your thumb or plectrum from the 4th string down (toward the ground) - remembering that the 6th string is the thickest string...
Back to top Go down
DemonicShredder

DemonicShredder

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-11-18

guitar lessons Empty
PostSubject: Re: guitar lessons   guitar lessons I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 am

what caught me here is the pix of the Jazz 3 picks, i started using them 6 months ago.one of the best picks i've ever used, small in size,comfortable to play,clean pitch & above all, easy harmonics ! coz of the edgy sides of them.
that's on of govan's/petrucci's tricks !
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/demonic_shredder_88
Sponsored content

guitar lessons Empty
PostSubject: Re: guitar lessons   guitar lessons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

guitar lessons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
IRAQI METAL FREAKS :: The Music We Create :: Guitar and Bass Discussions and lessons-
Jump to:  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com