IRAQI METAL FREAKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what is Death Metal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
A-Jay
Admin
A-Jay

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2008-10-05

what is Death Metal Empty
PostSubject: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 3:32 am

Death metal is structuralist heavy metal that borrows heavily from classical and industrial music. Its heritage is equal parts neoclassical heavy metal from the 1970s and hardcore punk from the early 1980s; if you throw Discharge, Judas Priest and King Crimson into a blender and set it on "high," you might get something like death metal. It took from roughly 1983-1988 for death metal to fully evolve, and at that point, it experienced six golden years of fruitful growth before lapsing as black metal eclipsed it in popularity.
The original underground musical genre, death metal was completely unknown to most people until 1997 when it became fodder for mainstream commentary after several school shootings. During the 1980s and early 1990s, it was impossible to find death metal in normal record stores and chains; most people ordered it from small mailorder companies, or "distros," that stocked underground metal exclusively. The underground in fact replicated every aspect of the normal music industry, including journalists and radio stations, to avoid being tainted by "commercial" or "mainstream" music.

We say death metal is "structuralist" because, in contrast to rock music, its goal is not a recursive rhythm riff that encourages constant intensity through verse-chorus structure; death metal, like black metal after it and prog rock and classical before it, uses "narrative" song structure, or a string of phrases connected in such a way that they effect musical and artistic change throughout the song. While rock music aims to find a sweet riff and ride it, and much of older heavy metal does the same, death metal is like opera: its goal is to use riffs to introduce more riffs, and through those, to create a treelike structure of motifs which resolve themselves to a final dominant theme. In this, death metal (like the progressive rock and synthpop bands that influenced it) is closer to classical music than rock music.

The history of rock music has been written by commercial promoters who have tried to establish its "authenticity" and uniqueness, and therefore, almost all mainstream publications are hostile to death metal. Death metal reminds us that rock music, blues and jazz did not arise autonomously in America, but were based on centuries of European popular music (the I-IV-V chord structure of the blues is derived from European folk music, and its "blues scale" is a modification of Asian and Celtic scales). Rock music is a scam, and its marketing makes it seem to be something greater than what it is, which is the same old music dressed up as a product. Death metal more than any genre before it broke from the rock tradition, and therefore is a threat to the rock establishment and its profits.

Like most musical genres in the modern time, death metal is constantly under assault not only from external interests, but from within, as self-interested people try to make rock music and dress it up as death metal. These attempts to simplify the genre would benefit those who attempt them, as they would both be able to make a saleable product (being similar to established musical tastes, it sells easily and broadly) and be able to claim the "authenticity" of belonging to an outsider form of art such as death metal. These false death metal bands have polluted the genre with the same mainstream dogma and musicality that death metal sought to escape. Like all human social breakdown, this breakdown occurs through the selfishness of individuals who are unwilling to admit that the health of the genre is more important than their personal profit.

Death metal flourished from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s, and then was for most purposes replaced by black metal. Where death metal was structuralist with heavy emphasis on chromatic phrasing and hence rhythmic, black metal used narrative construction based on melody (an innovation of later and progressive death metal bands as well, such as At the Gates, Atheist, Gorguts and Demilich). As such, it is often hard to tell where death metal ended and black metal began, although in their mature form they are distinct genres. In this, and in the aesthetic components of death metal borrowed by mainstream bands as varied as Slipknot and Nirvana, death metal lives on.
Back to top Go down
https://iraqimetalfreaks.yoo7.com
lolo_evil

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 6:10 pm

beg no words only beg
Back to top Go down
Into Eternity

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 3:34 am

\m/ long live death metal

rip chuck Sad
Back to top Go down
lolo_evil

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 4:53 am

which chuck ??!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Into Eternity

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 am

charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner (May 13, 1967, Long Island, New York – December 13, 2001) was an American singer, songwriter, guitarist and genre innovator.
Schuldiner was the singer, songwriter, and rhythm and lead guitarist of the band Death, which he founded in 1983, initially under the name Mantas. He is often referred to as "The Father of Death Metal"[5][6][7], and his obituary in the January 5, 2002 issue of UK's Kerrang! magazine stated that "Chuck Schuldiner was one of the most significant figures in the history of metal"[8]. Schuldiner himself was modest about his part in the history of death metal, noting "I don’t think I should take the credits for this death metal stuff. I’m just a guy from a band, and I think Death is a metal band"[6].
He died on December 13, 2001, at approximately 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. He was buried in Tampa, Florida on December 23, 2001 and famed musicians such as: Mike Patton, Dimebag Darrell, Glen Benton, Ville Valo, Trey Azagthoth and Max Cavalera along with the all of the former and active members of Death, were present at his funeral.
Back to top Go down
A-Jay
Admin
A-Jay

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2008-10-05

PostSubject: Re: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:24 am

*R.I.P*
Back to top Go down
https://iraqimetalfreaks.yoo7.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is Death Metal   what is Death Metal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what is Death Metal
Page 1 of 1